Our Art Collection
North Metropolitan TAFE aims to build and maintain a permanent collection of works of visual art and craft for the cultural enrichment of its student body, staff and wider community and as a resource for teaching, learning, research, enjoyment and place-making.
The Art Collection reflects the College as a place of learning, creativity and imagination. Through its collection and display of artworks, NMT seeks to play a leading role in the intellectual and cultural development of the vocational sector, community and general public.
Containing over 2000 works (the earliest dating back to 1910) the Collection showcases works by past/current students and staff, as well as acclaimed local, national and international artists most often associated with the College, thus recording the College’s history and fostering a sense of pride and ownership.
In May 1900, the Perth Technical School opened in the Old Perth Boys School building in St Georges Terrace. The curriculum included chemistry, assaying, engineering, art and design, woodwork and metalwork. It moved to a nearby purpose built site in 1910: The motto Truth Beauty Unity emblazoned above the front entry, expressed the era’s high hopes for technical education. In 1929 it became Perth Technical College.
The technical college later became part of the Technical and Further Education (TAFE) program and several other substantial neighbouring buildings were built or adapted to accommodate disciplines such as art.
The College became the Central Metropolitan College of TAFE in 1990 following the amalgamation of TAFE colleges at Perth, Leederville, Wembley, Mt Lawley, the Claremont School of Art and the WA School of Nursing.
In 2000, our art school relocated to purpose built facilities at 12 Aberdeen St joining design and media schools to become The Western Australian School of Art, Design and Media (WASADM). Our 100th birthday year served as a poignant reminder of our progress, from a collection of galvanised iron sheds in St George’s Terrace, with fewer than 70 students, to an institution playing a significant role in the development of two Western Australian Universities and growing to become the largest TAFE College in WA.
Our name evolved from Central TAFE to Central Institute of Technology and finally North Metropolitan TAFE when we joined forces with other north of the river TAFE colleges. Our Creative Industries continues to be a centre for excellence in training art design and media.